Monday, October 4, 2010

The evolution of a Recipe

Potato Soup- Valerie Brown’s recipe done Rachel’s way
Once again I typically don’t take the time to chop, peel and boil fresh tomatoes, but they are good in this. I have used left over baked potatoes too, however, to make this soup on the fly I can Southern style hash browns in the freezer they are ready to go pre-chopped, and I just make sure to add a little extra chicken stock to allow them time to cook through. I also use the bacon pieces found in the salad area of Costco or Sam’s club because I hate frying bacon and it makes this soup tasty with minimal effort. Once again you can opt to cook and break up your own bacon if you prefer that. Soup at my house is meant to be filling and good with not too much effort so I take shortcuts. I will put down the original recipe-honestly the best scratch potato soup you could hope for. Then I will put my recipe.
Valerie’s impeccable version
8 slices bacon diced and fried crisp- set aside
4 c diced potatoes barely covered with water and cooked over medium heat until just tender
In a separate pan melt ¾ c butter then add ¾ c flour and stir for 30 seconds on the heat. Add 1 qt Half and half and cook until smooth add potatoes with liquid and bacon and heat until desired consistency.
This is a from scratch smile and savour- but also completely satisfied that you didn’t need to open a can for dinner.
My quick version for the cold toes and hungry tummy after a long day.
1 lb frozen southern hash. This is typically ½ the bag. Break up the potatoes, cut open the top and place in microwave for 4 min on defrost- they should not be burning hot, thoroughly warmed.
In sauce pan place ¾ c butter and 1 tsp granulated garlic melt it over medium heat. Then add ¾ c flour and stir with spatula or whisk for 1 min. Add 4 cups milk 2 cups chicken base reconstituted( or homemade stock), and stir like mad. Add potatoes and the salad style REAL bacon shreds to the pot and heat through adding stock or milk to get the consistency that your family likes. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
I serve this with grated cheddar cheese, more bacon, sour cream, and chives for the ultimate “baked” potato soup.
Put your feet up this takes maybe 15-20 min to get into bowls. Put your feet up, and smile while you savour a bowl of fabulous soup that didn’t cost you 4 dollars at the deli.
PS. The leftovers are fantastic!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of Kevin's very favorites :). I have tweaked it a bit myself, doing a low fat version with skim milk, but sometimes I still make it the old fashioned way with the half and half.

    ReplyDelete