Saturday, March 17, 2018

Something old and Something new.

    Yes is has been years since I have opened up this page at all. It has been wonderful to focus on the miracles in my life, and to become a person I didn't think even existed. It was amusing to say the least to read my final drafted post that wisely I never posted, but even better I have become even more of the person who wrote about not wanting unsolicited advice anymore. 

Wow what a journey. 

I am now a full blooded Texan. Yes, I love it here. Yes, I where cowboy boots. And yes, I am still looking for the perfect hat to go with them;).

But what I have found in the recent years is that over and over again I get asked where I go to figure out food proportions, menus, and ideas for feeding odd or large groups of people.

I do much less of this myself, yet I love researching, playing with ideas, trends, and entertaining more and more in our own home. The patio was meant to host friends, and framily-- we don't live close to relatives, so the people who come to visit tend to be people we would rely on in any circumstance. Being to admitted introverts this is a bit of a stretch at times, but it has been a welcome one. 

So I will still put up little glimpses of life but will try and give room moms, teacher coordinators, church collaborators, and everyday moms a place to grab an idea, theme or maybe a quick recipe to help set up their next event.

WHAT HAS BEEN BIG:

This school year I have had the chance to be my little girl's room mom, and befriended the hospitality coordinator at school. What Have I done that went over well and was simple? 

Yogurt bar, or classroom Yogurt snack

I really like this menu because it can fit into so many cultures and diets. My daughters class we found a great deal on the single cups of berry flavored greek yogurt, and found a cute gluten free cereal to act as granola then viola. Easy, healthy, valentines day snack. No sugar rush. The teacher doesn't hate me for putting her class on a roller coaster for the rest of the day. 

The teacher appreciation portion was done with a serve yourself yogurt bar. 
Things to provide:
Yogurt-singles or large pretty serving bowl
berries-even frozen can work here
fresh of dried fruit
chocolate chips if wanted
granola

Make sure to put the single yogurts on ice in a larger bowl or put the large bowl of yogurt in a large bowl filled with ice. This extra step allows this buffet to be mostly unattended by you, and lets the teachers come up as they have time in the morning. Set the toppings and mix-ins up with layers, buffet style on a table cloth and some holiday appropriate doodads and ta-dah. Teachers feel loved, and you have a few hours of time to get the rest of life attended to before clean up. 

When setting up anything like this please:
1. Bring something to dispose of left-overs that have been out in the open for the serving time. Single serves can be kept and taken home.
2 Extra towels and dish rags. There will be spills. They happen. Be ready. 
Towel are so you don't end up using a whole roll of paper towels to dry off serving platters.
3. Make sure to stop for ice, and have a cooler ready to keep anything that will crowd the buffet table. Keep cold things cold and hot things hot.
4.Serve ware. Tongs, large spoons/ forks, and what have you can be brought from home or even purchased at Walmart in the wedding aisle. As long as you have cups and spoons for eating you should be covered. 
5. If you want to take into account a special dietary restriction please bring LABELS. This encourages others to leave those items alone. Furthermore, send a note, or message ahead of time letting the diners to know that accommodations have been made, so they don't avoid the occasion.

As always smile and savour.

Mrs. Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment