Monday, October 5, 2009

Italian Gravy

Forgive the title but this is my version for Italian Gravy, or red sauce. I love the term gravy though cause I enjoy putting this sauce on veggies, pizza, bread, and, of course, pasta dishes. The term gravy is not my own, I stumbled upon the term during my perusal of " Last Bite" earlier in the year. Now every time my red pot comes out- yes I do have a designated enameled iron pot for just this dish- I can't help but imagine all the dishes it will contribute to until its' ultimate demise. Note that the recipe and amount change every time I cook, due to changes in my mood, my allergies, the weather, or the initial dish that it is being composed for. Just know, that to me cooking is a personal thing, and I think that if you like cocoa, honey, molasses, star anise, anchovy paste, fennel, or nutmeg in your gravy add it in. Bytheway, the above list has all ended up in the red pot at some point. If it sounds good try adding it, make every recipe yours by letting those bits of individual inspiration show through. Furthermore, don't hesitate to open up the spice cabinet, it is a great thing to use those miniature bottles of treasured leaf and root. Many of the most common of spices used in modern cooking have bee shown to have nutritional benefit beyond that of fruits and veggies. So never fear the unknown, just keep a tasting spoon nearby, while you concoct your own brew to entice, amaze and endure all those who enjoy the fruits of your labor. Sometimes, it is good to cast a spell.
Basic Italian gravy
Olive oil to coat heavy pot
1-2 cloves garlic
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste.
1/2 t onion powder
1 t dried basil- can use fresh finely chopped
1 t dried oregano- can use fresh
1 t honey
2 T tomato paste
1 24oz can Hunts or canned pasta sauce or equal amount of plain tomato sauce.
( fresh herbs roughly chopped should be at least 3x's the original dried herb amount to approximate flavor.)
Optional additions: 1 T cocoa powder, 2 T balsamic vinegar, fennel-seed or ground, nutmeg, thyme, paprika; white pepper ground, anchovy paste-use less salt, lemon juice, chopped tomatoes, grated carrot, star anise (remove), bay leaf (remove), dash of sugar, 1 T molasses; Just some ideas of what I alternate putting in according to what I have on hand and feel like doing. Taste as you go, and figure out what you like. (This is not a sweet sauce to make it so add sugar, ketchup, honey, or brown sugar until you have reached desired sweetness.)
Heat olive oil in pan when hot add garlic minced into pan and stir for 30 seconds, add can of diced tomatoes, and basic spices. Reduce liquid for 3-5 min stirring occasionally. Once reduced, add the rest of the basic ingredients, and those optional ingredients that suite your palate. simmer over low heat, stirring every once in a while until desires small, taste and consistency are achieved. This has ben anywhere from 5 min to 1.5 hours for me due to the need to get dinner on the table at times. Note the longer this simmers the more the flavors meld and congeal into pan of goodness. It it gets tooo thick thin with stock, veggie juice, or tomato sauce. One way or another this is an easy versatile , work horse to have in your repertoire. Trust me this is a recipe to Savor.
Ms. Brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment